Monday, September 26, 2011

Autumn is coming!!

       I woke up the other morning turned on some Frank Sinatra and as I looked out my window I saw that the leaves are beginning to fall and that Autumn is on it's way! This got me very excited because Autumn means cozy sweaters, hot coco, and curling up by a fire as you watch old Judy Garland movies.

I went to my scary basement to dig out some sweaters and coats and what did I find? I found A BIG BAG OF PINE CONES! I grabbed the bag, ran up stairs and got permission from my mom to use them. 

I decided I was going to make Pine Cone center pieces and candle holders.
First I took a pine cone and painted the tips with acrylic paint ( I used reds, and oranges, and soft of white/yellowish colors). 

 

In the picture on the right I added some gold glitter. You don't have to do this I just did because I like glitter. :) 

After this I let all the pine cones dry, it took about 6-8mins for them to be completely dry.

As they were drying I had an idea! If you don't have a hot glue gun or suck at using one. Just place the pine cones on a windowsill! 
                                                                   Or in a basket!


The next steps will include just one thing a hot glue gun!

First you glue the longer skinnier pine cones together in a star shaped base and Then you glue a bigger rounder pine cone in the middle.

 Then you glued about 6 rounder pine cones together in a circle.
Then you glued the star base to the circle of pine cone! That's it! 

This Autumn project is very easy to do and also it looks great! 

 

I had some extra pine cones and this is what gave me the idea of a Candle holder!
All I did was take about 5 pine cones (the round ones) and glued them into a circle. I placed the candle in the middle of the circle as I was gluing because then I would know how big it would have to be. 

                                         This is what it would look like on a cold Autumn night. 


If you can believe it I still have more pine cones! I have a couple of more ideas in my head so i will test them out and if they work I will post some pictures! 

I hope this has inspired you to do sometime with the pine cones lying in your basement!

-Miss Ollie

2 comments:

  1. I really like this guess what I did today haha painted some painted pine cones I am not kidding lol :)

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete